The MG20 is a 20-channel analog mixer with compression.
The third generation of the acclaimed MG Series, these compact mixing consoles focus on delivering high quality sound for a diverse range of mixing environments. With the same mic preamps as Yamaha’s high-end professional mixers, the MG Series provides serious sound with the reliability and performance this series is renowned for.
D-PRE Discrete Class-A Mic Preamps
This is where it all starts. Everything you do as a sound engineer is dependent on the quality of your preamps, which determines the direction your mix will take, and ultimately how good it is going to sound. MG Series mixing consoles feature Yamaha’s studio-grade discrete class-A D-PRE preamps, which utilize an inverted Darlington circuit comprising two cascading transistors in a configuration that provides more power with lower impedance. Delivering fat, natural sounding bass and smooth, soaring highs, with very low distortion, D-PRE preamps possess an impressively wide frequency range that allow them to handle signal from any audio source without overly amplifying any specific elements of the sound. Having such a pure sonic platform to uild on will ultimately save you time and effort by eliminating the need for excessive EQing or additional effects processing in order to “fix” your mix.
High Quality Sound Op-amp
The head amp determines sound quality, and op-amp integrated circuits are one of the most important parts in the head amp circuit. MG Series mixers feature new, high-quality, custommade MG01 op-amps that we developed in cooperation with the semiconductor manufacturer. Although many other Op-amps prioritize electrical design and efficiency, we worked directly with the semiconductor manufacturer to focus on sound quality first. MG01 op-amps feature redesigned circuitry in which even the internal components and wiring have been optimized, and use materials such as high-quality silicon wafers and copper wire to achieve uperb resolution.
Switchable Phantom Power & PAD Switch
With phantom power, MG Series consoles allow you to take full advantage of the greater frequency response and high sound quality of condenser microphones. The input channel with PAD switch accepts MIC to line level of inputs, PAD Switch attenuates high input signals that often accompany mic’ed instruments during performance, avoiding the clipping that can seriously affect your mix.
Compression plays an essential role in just about any recording or sound reinforcement environment by altering the level of dynamics of an audio signal when you need livelier guitars, punchier bass lines, a tighter snare, or a cleaner vocal sound. However, it can take countless hours to master the complexities of even the most basic outboard compression units and use them effectively. Originally a Yamaha innovation, 1-knob compressors are now an industry standard that gives you instant access to optimized compression settings via a single rotary control.
EQ and High-pass Filters
There’s nothing more useful than reliable equalization when you need nuanced management of your tone. The MG Series benefits from Yamaha’s unparalleled experience in designing pro audio gear, featuring 3-band equalizers on all mono channels for precise control of your sound. High-pass filter allows you to eliminate unwanted low-frequency noise, for a smoother, cleaner mix.
AUX / Effect Sends / Group
MG Series mixers feature up to AUX sends for expanding your sound reinforcement or recording setup, allowing you to incorporate additional effects, output to external recording devices, or feed to an monitoring system. Master send controls are also provided. .
A variety of input / output connectors
All models feature high-quality Neutrik™ balanced XLR connectors on mono microphone/line channels and XLR equipped stereo channels. Each of the mono inputs is equipped with combo jack and accepts both MIC and LINE level signals. Two of the stereo inputs are equipped with XLR and two phone connectors with XLR accepting MIC level signals while two phone connectors accepting LINE level signals and can be used either mono or stereo. (except for 10ch model) The function of another two stereo channel vary depending on model:
With 20ch model, XLR accepts MIC level signal and two RCA connectors accepts LINE level signals and can be used either mono or stereo. With 16ch and 12ch models, two phone connectors accept LINE level signals as stereo. Additionally, each of the stereo channel features 2TR in (RCA connectors) and can be used as independent input from external audio sources such as CDs. 10ch is equipped with additional stereo channel with a pair of phone jack that accepts LINE levels.
Yamaha MG20 Features:
- 20-Channel Mixing Console
- Max. 16 Mic / 20 Line Inputs (12 mono + 4 stereo)
- 4 GROUP Buses + 1 Stereo Bus
- 4 AUX (incl. FX)
- “D-PRE” mic preamps with an inverted Darlington circuit
- 1-Knob compressors
- PAD switch on mono inputs
- +48V phantom power
- XLR balanced outputs
- Internal universal power supply for world-wide use
- Rack Mount Kit Included
- Metal chassis
Yamaha MG20 Specifications:
- Frequency Response (Input to STEREO OUT): +0.5 dB/-1.5 dB (20 Hz to 48kHz) , refer to the nominal output level @ 1 kHz, GAIN knob: Min
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD+N) (Input to STEREO OUT):
- 0.03 % @ +14 dBu (20 Hz to 20 kHz), GAIN knob: Min
- 0.005 % @ +24 dBu (1 kHz), GAIN knob: Min
- Hum & Noise *1 (20 Hz to 20 kHz)
- Equivalent Input Noise: -128 dBu (Mono Input Channel, Rs: 150 O, GAIN knob: Max)
- Residual Output Noise: -102 dBu (STEREO OUT, STEREO master fader: Min)
- Crosstalk(1 kHz): -78 dB
- Input channels 16 channels: Mono [MIC/LINE]: 8, Mono/Stereo [MIC/LINE]: 2,Stereo [LINE]: 2
- Output channels STEREO OUT: 2, PHONES: 1, MONITOR OUT: 1, AUX SEND: 4,GROUP OUT: 4
- Bus STEREO: 1, GROUP: 4, AUX: 4
- Level Meter (Pre Monitor LEVEL): 2 × 12 -segment LED meter [PEAK, +10, +6,+3, 0, -3, -6, -10, -15, -20, -25, -30 dB]
- Phantom Power Voltage: +48 V
- Power Requirements: AC 100-240 V, 50 Hz/60 Hz
- Power Consumption: 36 W
- Dimensions: 17.5″(W) × 5.1″(H) × 19.7″(D)
- Net Weight 15.2 lbs.
- Included Accessory: AC power cord, Rack mount kit, Owner’s Manual,Technical
- Operating Temperature: 0 to +40 °C